Lower Dolpo Trek
Lower Dolpo Trek is a trekking to the hidden gems of Nepal and a remote trekking destination in Nepal. It is one of the famous and best trekking routes of Nepal. The main highlight of the Lower Dolpo trekking is Shey-Phoksundo Lake; the deepest lake of Nepal is a blue lake having no aquatic life.The Lower Dolpo Trekking Region is protected by the largest National Park of Nepal– Shey-Phoksundo National Park which has many flora and faunas including Blue Sheep, Musk Deer, Goral, Himalayan Tahr, Bear and it is also home to endangered snow leopard.
The people of Lower Dolpo are simple with fascinating culture and traditions which are influenced by Tibetan culture and living style. Lower Dolpo is the land where the Oscar-nominated movie- Caravan was based. A trek to explore the Hidden Wonders of nature also includes two challenging passes; Numala Pass (5,115m.) and Bagala Pass (5100m.) which offers the splendid views of Annapurna Range, Dhaulagiri Range, Nilgiri, Kyanguripa and other towering mountains of Nepal.
Best seasons for trekking in Lower Dolpo are September to November and March to May.
Visit Heaven Trek’s 18 days Lower Dolpo trek is the best trekking itinerary of Lower Dolpo.
- Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu (1,334m.): Upon your arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, a Visit Heaven Trek representative will be there for your warm welcome and help you to get to your hotel. The evening will be for a welcome dinner with Visit Heaven staff in one of the typical Nepali restaurant. Overnight in hotel.Day 2: Kathmandu Sightseeing (1,334m.): Take your breakfast and get ready for a guided full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley. The sightseeing program is focused on introducing some highlights of UNESCO World Heritage sites of Kathmandu such as Kathmandu Durbar square, Swoyambhunath ,also known as “Monkey Temple”, Pashupatinath –temple of Lord Shiva and Bouddhanath; a Buddhist place. After sightseeing evening will be for trek briefing and preparation of things per need.
Day 3: Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj (150m. / 45 minutes flight): Early morning we fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj. Nepalgunj is a town which is situated in western Nepal and near to Nepal-India Border. Upon our arrival in Nepalgunj to our hotel. We will have enough time to explore around Nepalgunj. We stay overnight in Nepalgunj.
Day 4: Fly to Jhupal (2,475m.) from Nepalgunj (45 minutes) and trek to Dunai (2,140m. / 2-3 hours): With 45 minutes flight from Nepalgunj we will reach Jhupal; the starting point of our trek. From Jhupal, we will trek to Dunai which is administrative headquarter of the Dolpo Region. Overnight.
Day 5: Dunai to Tarakot (2,543m. / 5-6 hours): From Dunai today we will be trekking to Tarakot. With five to six hours long walking we will reach a beautiful village Tarakot. We stay overnight at Tarakot.
Day 6: Tarakot to Laini (3,160m. / 6-7 hours): Today we leave Tarakot and will be trekking to Laini walking through from terraces and rural villages. Our 6-7 hours walking will be paused in Laini for overnight. Overnight in Laini.
Day 7: Laini to Nawarpani (3,545m. / 5 hours): An exciting day for trekking as our trails follow the Tarap River gorge and lead us to today’s destination Nawarpani. Overnight at Nawarpani.
Day 8: Nawarpani to Do Tarap (4,090m. / 7-8 hours): Day to trek Do Tarap a village surrounded by the irregular stone wall where a few Tibetan and more Magars people used to live. Tarap is a valley where Bon Po and Chaiba live together. Overnight at Tarap.
Day 9: Acclimatize day in Tarap: As we gain the altitude this is a rest day. Explore around Tarap, visit some monasteries and enjoy your rest day. Overnight at Tarap.
Day 10: Tarap to Numa la Base Camp (4,440m. /6-7 hours): From Tarap, today we will set off to Numa La Base Camp for overnight. Tokyu, a village with monastery belongs to Chiba Sect is the main highlight of today’s walk. Overnight at Numa La Base Camp.
Day 11: Cross Numa La (5,190m.) and camp at Pelung Tang (4,465m. / 6-7 hours): One of the challenging day of Lower Dolpo Trek. From Numa La Base Camp our trail steeply ascends up to Numa La Pass (5,190m.) which offers the magnificent views of mountains of Dolpo up to Dhaulagiri (8,167m.). Then it descends all the way down to Pelung Tang for overnight.
Day 12: Cross Baga La (5,070m.) and Camp at Dajok Tang (4,080m.) 6 hours: Day to cross another pass Baga La. From Pelung Tang we trek all the way up to Baga La pass; a view point for snowcapped Kanjirowa Himal range and surrounding landscapes. After crossing Baga La cross we will descend down to Dajok Tang. We stay overnight at Dajok Tang.
Day 13: Dajok Tang to Ringmo (3,600m. / 3-4 hours): An easy trekking day when we will trek to Ringmo through silent pine forest. Overnight at Ringmo.
Day 14: Rest day at Ringmo to hike Phoksundo Lake and explore around: Day to enjoy and relax by exploring around Ringmo and visiting Phoksundo Lake. Walk around Ringmo, visit some Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries and take a walk to deepest Lake of Nepal Phoksundo. Overnight.
Day 15: Ringmo to Shyanta (2,520m. /5-6 hours): From Ringmo, we first descend to Chekpa then we passes several villages to reach today’s destination Shyanta. Overnight at Shyanta.
Day 16: Shyanta to Jhupal (2,475m. / 5-6 hours): Last day of Lower Dolpo Trek. Today we will trek back to Jhupal via Sulighat. After reaching Jhupal we can either explore around or simply can take rest. Overnight at Jhupal.
Day 17: Fly back Kathmandu via Nepalgunj: We first fly to Nepalgunj from Jhupal. From Nepalgunj we will catch available flight back to Kathmandu. As you arrived in Kathmandu your guide will help you to get to your hotel. Evening will be for a farewell dinner with Visit Heaven Trek team.
Day 18: Departure Day- Day to fly back home. A Visit Heaven Trek representative will accompany you to Tribhuvan International Airport. We hope to see you soon
- Airport pick up and drop
- 3 Nights Kathmandu Accommodation in BB Basis at 3 star category hotel
- Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing by car/van/ microbus
- Experienced English speaking guide for sightseeing and trekking
- Porter (1 porter for 2 persons)
- Permit Cards
- TIMS Card
- Flight-Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Jupal and Jupal-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu
- Bed and Breakfast during trek
- Trekking gears- Walking poll, sleeping bag, down jacket
- Trekking route map
- Nepali SIM card
- First Aid Kid
What Is not Included
- Nepal Visa
- Travel insurance
- Lunch and Dinner
- Personal beverages and laundries
- Tipping for Guide and Porter
- Anything not mention above.
- 1 pair strong hiking boots
- 1 pair sports shoes
- 1 medium rucksack/backpack
- 1 small day pack
- 1 sleeping bag (according to seasons)
- 1 inner sleeping sheet
- 1 down jacket/all weather Anorak
- 1 fleece/warm sweater
- 1 water and windproof jacket
- 2 pair lightweight trousers
- 1 pair shorts
- 2 long sleeves cotton or polypro
- 2 T-shirts
- 1 medium sized towel
- 1 water bottle-1 or 2 litre
- 1 torch/flashlight and spare batteries
- 1 Swiss type knife
- 2 pairs light socks
- 3 pairs heavy wool socks
- Underwear (including thermals)
- Cotton headscarf/bandana
- Warm hat/gloves (waterproof)
- Sunglasses and Sunhat
- Money Belt
- Water purification tablets/solution
- Sun block Cream(30-50)
- Swimming costumes/bathing suit
- Washing kit: include
- Personal toiletries
- Talcum powder
- Moleskin for blister
- Toilet paper
- Bio degradable soap/shampoo
- Any personal medication
- 3/4 plastic bags (for wrapping clothes)
Note: Due to the different seasons in Nepal, clients are requested to inquire before preparing equipments.