Everest Marathon 2020 and Gokyo Lakes Trek , is an exciting trekking and high-altitude marathon trip in Everest. Start with exploring the Gokyo Valley, the fascinating valley of glacial lakes and the high mountains then to Everest Base Camp and ends with participating one of the most anticipated marathons in the world.
Everest Marathon plus Gokyo Lakes Trek 2020, starts on 14th May 2020 from Kathmandu Valley. The trip first goes up to Gokyo Valley via Namche Bazar through Cho-La pass at 5420 meters above the sea level. It then ends with participating 18th edition of Everest Marathon on 29th May 2020.
Everest Marathon Elevation Map
15th May 2020: Arrival in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel
- Upon your arrival at Kathmandu International Airport, our representative will welcome you and transfer you to the hotel at Thamel (pre-booked for you by Visit Heaven Treks Pvt Ltd). In the free time, take a good rest.
Food: The hotel is situated at the heart of Thamel (The tourist hub with several good restaurants with tasty foods). Go grab on your choice.
Money Exchange: If you are coming with foreign currencies then it can be easily converted at a money exchange (near your hotel).
ATMS: If you are coming with credit/debit cards, then you can withdraw the cash from the ATMS. There is an ATM point near the hotel. You can withdraw NPR. 35, 000 (US$ 340 approx.) at once and will be charged NPR. 500 per transaction.
16th May 2020: Preparation and Visit Kathmandu Durbar Square
- This day is dedicated to prepare with your gears for the trip. Your guide will be helping you to sort out your gears accordingly. You can get all the needed gears in Kathmandu, which you can either buy or hire.
- In the evening, you will be walking to Kathmandu Durbar Square. It is a historical palace place complimented with sacred Kumari house. KUMARI is the living goddess, get the blessing of her for a successful trip and a memorable Everest Marathon.
17th May 2020: Fly to Lukla and trek to Phakding.(2610m./ 4-5 hours trek)
- Take a scenic flight to Lukla airport- one of the exciting airports in the world. Meet your porters and the Sherpa at Lukla. Then the trip starts, the way up to Phakding is interesting through the green hills and local villages.
18th May 2020: Namche Bazaar. (3445m./5-7 hours trek)
- Grab your early morning breakfast with the hot cup of tea/coffee, then leave for Namche Bazar. The route to Namche Bazar is mostly uphill and consists of occasional mountain views including Mount Everest. Hillary Bridge is another attraction of the day. The Yaks/Mules and the fellow runners/trekkers will be along the way as well. The Dudh Koshi river is another thing to watch.
19th May 2020: Hike to Everest View Point and explore Namche Bazaar. (3445 m./2 hours hike).
- Hike up to Everest Base View Point, one of the best places in Everest region to see mountains. Collect the magnificent views of the Himalayas including Everest and then get back to Namche Bazar. Post lunch, you can go and explore Namche Bazar.
20th May 2020: Trek to Dole. (4040m./5-6 hours trek)
- Wake up with the wonderful sunrise view, then trek to Phortse Thanga, a wonderful settlement, and eventually to Dole via rhododendron forest where you will be spending your night.
21st May 2020: Trek to Machhermo (4410m./ 5-6 hours trek)
- Off to the higher altitude terrains, hike through kharkas- seasonal settlements of the Yaks and the yak pastures to Macchermo Village. Another small yet wonderful Sherpa settlement.
22nd May 2020: Trek to Gokyo Valley. (4750.m/ 5-6 hours trek)
- With the alarm at 5:30 am, wake up and get ready for a rewarding day. The route up to Gokyo Valley is mostly uphill. The day starts with climbing a ridge for an excellent view down the valley to Kangtaiga and also up towards Cho Oyu (8153m). The valley now widens as the trail passes through Pangkha then descends to the riverbank before beginning the steep climb onto the terminal moraine of the Ngozumpo Glacier. Here we pass the first of the lakes at Gokyo where a family of Brahminy ducks reside and then follow the level trail to the summerhouses and walled meadows of Gokyo.Where you can find a small settlement of lodges on the shores of a blue lake. At afternoon, we will walk up the hill behind camp to take magnificent views of the Ngozumpo Glacier.
23rd May 2020: Thangnak (4700m/ 5-7 hours trek)
- We start trekking this day earlier than the previous day. Today we ascend up a small peak called Gokyo Ri, which just above wonderful Gokyo Village. As we step forward to Thangnak, the views come even closer and seem more fantastic. We can view four of the seven highest peaks in the Nepal Himalaya Cho Oyu, Everest, Lhotse and Makalu. Stretching out for miles below us is the longest glacier in Nepal – the Ngozumpo glacier, which tumbles down from the slopes of Cho Oyu. One of the best all round views in Nepal, the climb is well worth the effort. We return to Gokyo for lunch. Midafternoon we retrace our steps to the second lake and climb to the crest of the moraine overlooking the Ngozumpo glacier. The route across the glacier is well marked with cairns and takes us to the eastern side of the Gokyo Valley. Overnight at Tangnak (4700m) the foot of the Cho La Pass.
24th May 2020: Dzongla.(4830m./ 5-6 hours trek)
- With the early start, we climb up from Tangnak and approach a large boulder field. Beyond this ancient moraine, the climb to the pass is steep in places, involving some easy scrambling. The upper part of the route can be snow covered, particularly after November. The challenging pass offers some stunning views of including an unusual aspect of Ama Dablam.
- The descent from the pass involves the crossing of a small glacier (usually snow covered) which is fairly straightforward. We descend steeply to the grazing pastures below, the trail becoming more defined as we approach Dzongla (4830m), where we stay tonight in a very small basic lodge.
25th May 2020: Lobuche.(4910m./ 5-6 hours trek)
- You continue our descent on an easy trail. A short ascent brings us to the foot of Awi Peak, which you contour round on a wonderful high trail with great views of Chalotse and Tawoche across the valley. After then we descend to catch the main trail again just below Lobuche.
26th May 2020: Gorak Shep.(5180m./ 3-4 hours trek) and enjoy the sunset in Himalayas.
- Take the early morning breakfast and start the hike to Gorakshep, the last camp or the place for the proper teahouses in Everest. The lunch for the day will be Gorakshep. After the lunch, take rest. In the evening, hike up to Kalapatthar (5,545m.) in the evening to enjoy the best sunset view of your life. Upon the golden rays of the sun hits Everest- the word in the world can describe its beauty. Then descent down to Gorakshep for the overnight.
27th May 2020: Trek to Everest Base Camp (5364m. /2-3 hours trek) and stay at Everest Base Camp in a tented camp.
- After the lunch at Gorakshep, you will then proceed to Everest Base Camp. Today, you will be staying overnight at a tented camp in Everest Base Camp Trek. Meet your fellow runners and also you may get the chance to meet the Everest summiteers who are descending after the Everest Expedition. Your guide and the porters will be on the way back to Namche Bazar (where the Marathon ends) to greet you after the Everest Marathon.
28th May 2020: Acclimatization at Everest Base Camp.
- The whole day, you will be spending at Everest Base Camp, the food will be provided. The stay at the lap of the Everest, that is something special one can expect in their lifetime. Enjoy the moments of the lifetime.
29th May 2020: Marathon day (Everest Base Camp to Namche Bazar- From 5364m. to 3440m.- 42.195 kilometers).
On your Marks!! Get Set!! Go!!
- Go get your dream and conquer the worlds’ high-altitude marathon on high. The sprinter– Karma Sarki Sherpa holds the record by completing the race in 3 hours 35 minutes and 39 seconds in the 4th Edition of Everest Marathon in 2006 and who knows it might be you to set the new record.
- You will be awarded the runner medal after the completion of the race at Namche Bazar. In the evening meet your guide and porters to celebrate.
30th May 2020: Trek back to Monju (2835m./ 4-5 hours trek)
- Retrace the same way back to Monju for the overnight.
31st June 2020: Trek back to Lukla (2810m. / 4-5 hours trek).
- Walk back to Lukla. Enjoy the wonderful hot shower. In the evening, join the farewell dinner with your porters as they will be saying goodbye from today.
Tipping: Tipping is highly expected in Nepal, specially, yet not mandatory. You can tip your guide (s)/ porter (s) on your own preference.
1st June 2020: Fly back to Kathmandu (30 minutes flight and 15/30 minutes’ drive to the hotel)
- With an early morning flight, you will be flying back to Kathmandu. Later, do some last-minute shopping in Thamel. In the evening, you will be joining the farewell dinner with traditional Nepali show.
2nd June 2020: Fly back home
- With all the sweet memories, you will be transferred to Kathmandu airport to catch your returning flight.
- Airport pick up and drop off by a private vehicle
- 3 Nights hotel in Kathmandu at 3-star category hotel with breakfast in twin sharing basis
- Kathmandu Valley sightseeing (Private vehicle and a tour guide)
- Flight (Kathmandu-Lukla and Lukla-Kathmandu)
- Sagarmatha National Park fee and Pasang Lhamu Village entrance fees.
- An experienced English-speaking guide and his all expenses including his insurance
- Porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers) including their all expenses including their insurance
- Food in full board during the trekking with 3 compliment teas and teahouse accommodation (18 Breakfasts/15 Lunches/16 Dinners)
- Tented camp in Everest Base Camp
- The runners medal and certificates
- Complimentary sleeping bags and down jackets
- Trekking route map
- First aid kit
- All the governmental taxes and service charges
- International airfare
- Travel insurance
- Nepal visa fees
- Personal expenses (Wifi, bar bills, laundries, hot shower during the trekking, gadget charging fees- US$ 1- US$
- 5 per gadget, mobile recharge etc)
- Extra nights accommodation in Kathmandu in case of early arrival from the trek due to unforeseen circumstances
- Extra luggage charges (Only 15 kgs- 10kgs+5kgs are included if more you need to pay US$ 2 per kilogram)
- Emergency evacuation (our company will help to arrange the evacuation if needed)
- Anything does not mention in the inclusion list)