Makalu Base Camp trekking comparatively less-visited trekking route of Nepal, yet it is one of the fantastic trekking in Nepal. Trekking Makalu is the trek in Nepal which takes into the foothill of the fifth highest mountain in the world located nearby the popular Barun Glacier.
Makalu trekking is the best way to explore the high-altitude terrains and the high mountains. Makalu Trek is not the trekking to Makalu Summit (8,841m.) but advances to enjoy the superb mighty Makalu Himalaya range including the south face of Makalu as well as Mount Everest, Lhotse, Chamlang and Kanchenjunga from Makalu Base Camp and also offers to enjoy the local living and hospitality of people of Makalu Nepal.
Best Seasons to trek Makalu Base Camp:
As Trekking in Makalu Region is a seasonal adventure tour and trek activities, we’ve two best seasons for this Makalu Trek and they are as follows:
Spring(March, April, May): The season in which rhododendron blooms with its decent color and beauty and due to which colorful hills are spotted throughout the journey wherever possible. One also gets an opportunity to collect the clear and picturesque view of snowcapped mountains including Mount Makalu(8485 m).
Autumn(September, October, November): The perfect season to trek in which dry air is dispersed all over the nation and due to which the sky seems to be crystal clear. The trekking trails are also neither too wet nor too slippery. One can enjoy the breathtaking transparent views of snowcapped mountains including the fifth highest peak, Mount Makalu(8485 m).
What to Expect
- Analysing the stunning view of Mt. Everest from eastern face
- Breathtaking views of the Mt. Makalu ( 8463m), Mt. Chamlang (7319m ) and Mt. Baruntse (7129m)
- Experiencing the highland Sherpa culture & lifestyle
- Adventurous walk from low warm Arun Valley to arctic zone of ice and snow
- Enchanting forest of beautiful rhododendron-magnolia-pines and fir trees
- Eye-catching view of taraced mountain, waterfall and glaciers
Makalu Base Camp Trekking Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu and Transfer to the hotel (1,300m)
- Upon your arrival in Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, a Visit Heaven Treks representative will be there for your warm welcome and will help you to transfer to the hotel. In free time take good rest and get refreshed from the jetlag. In the evening join welcome dinner organised by Visit Heaven Treks Team. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu Sightseeing (1,334m.)
- A full day sightseeing is dedicated to exploring some of the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Sites in Kathmandu Valley. Exploration of Soyambhunath- The Monkey Temple, Pashupatinath, Boudhanath and historical Kathmandu Durbar Square are the places sightseeing offers. In the evening meet your trekking guide. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03: Fly to Tumlingtar (45 minutes) and drive to Chichira (1,980m/ 3-4 hours drive)
- From Kathmandu, we will first fly to Tumlingtar. We then will drive to Chichira for overnight.
Day 04: Chichira to Num (1,560m/ 6-7 hours)
- From Chichira with passing several villages and forests will trek to Num village. Overnight.
Day 05: Trek to Seduwa (1,500m/5-6hours trek)
- The trail from Num descent through forest and crosses the Barun river. From there it ascends up and will get to Seduwa for overnight.
Day 06: Trek to Tashigaon (2,100m/4-5 hours)
- On the way to Tashigaon we will pass several villages, paddy fields before reaching Tashi Gaon. Tashi Gaon offers the superb views of mountains. Overnight at Tashi Gaon.
Day 07: Tashigaon to Khongma Danda (3,500m/ 6-7 hours trek)
- From Tashigaon we will take the ascending trail through dense forest to stream. From the stream, we further ascend up and will slowly trek to Khongma Danda for overnight.
Day 08 :Acclimatisation day
- We will take a rest day at Khongma Danda.
Day 09:Khongma Danda to Dobate (6-7 hours trek)
- A hard trekking day when we first pass Shipton La Pass and the Kele La Pass. After crossing Kele La pass we will further trek to Dobate for overnight.
Day 10 : Trek to Yangri Kharka (3,557m/5- 6hours)
- We will trek through the rhododendron forest to trek to Barun Khola. From there we will take the ascending trail to hike up to Yangri Kharka for overnight.
Day 11: Yangri Kharka to Langmale Kharka: (4,410m/ 5-6 hours)
- With passing several yak pastures and forests, this day we will trek to Langmale Kharka. Overnight at Langmale Kharka.
Day 12: Trek to Makalu Base Camp: (4,870m/6-7 hours)
- From Langmale Kharka we take steep up the trail to hike up to Makalu Base Camp. From Makalu Base Camp we can enjoy the stunning views of the south face of Makalu, Everest and the Lhotse Mountain. Overnight.
Day 13: Explore Makalu Base Camp
- A free day when we will actually get busy with exploring around Makalu Base Camp.We can enjoy the superb views of the south face of Makalu, Everest and Lhotse mountains and can also explore the glaciers, lakes.
Day 14: Trek back to Yangri Kharka(6-7 hours trek)
- This day we will descent down to Yangri Kharka from Makalu Base Camp. Overnight at Yangri Kharka.
Day 15: Yangri Kharka to Dobate( 6-7 hours trek)
- This day we take early breakfast and will start our trekking where we take descent trail through rocks, forests and Barun River to reach Dobate for overnight.
Day 16: Dobate to Khongma Danda(5-6 hours trek)
- This day we will trek back to Khongma Danda via Kele La and Kauma La Pass. Overnight at Khongma Danda.
Day 17: Khongma Danda to Tashigaon(4-5 hours trek)
- We will follow the same way and will trek back to Tashigaon for overnight.
Day 18: Trek back to Seduwa(4-5 hours trek)
- The trail from Seduwa first descents to Barun River then cross several small settlements before reaching Seduwa for overnight.
Day 19: Seduwa to Num (5-6 hours trek)
- This day we will trek back to Num via several dense forests and Sherpa villages.
Day 20: Trek back to Tumlingtar(6-7 hours trek)
- We will trek back to Tumlingtar via Chichira. Overnight at Tumliingtar.
Day 21: Fly back to Kathmandu(50 mins flight)
- This day we will fly back to Kathmandu. In Kathmandu, you can do some last minute shopping before joining farewell dinner with Visit Heaven Treks. Overnight.
Day 22: Fly back home
- A Visit Heaven Treks representative will accompany you to Tribhuvan International Airport to catch your returning flight. We hope to see you again in Nepal.