Upper Mustang Trekking simply an outstanding trekking into an arid region beyond the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges. Considered as “Mini Tibet of Nepal”. Mustang is also famous as “Mountain Desert”. The isolated part of Nepal is still untouched and unspoilt from modernization. The culture here is influenced by Tibetan culture and living style reflects the images of Tibetan lifestyle.
Views of semi-arid desert attached with silver lines of snows are simply striking. The years-old Buddhists monasteries and the walled city of four storey palaces of Lo-Mangthang add the excitement on the trekking. Most of the houses are made of stones and sun-baked bricks. People here are amazingly friendly who are inheriting years old cultures and living styles and hospitality of the peoples make you just like you are in your home. Another pick of Upper Mustang Trekking is Kaligandaki gorge- deepest gorge in the world and exploration of caves.
Next, the interesting fact of Mustang is Lo- Manthang is unofficial capital of Mustang and there exists a kingdom and has a king who still retains his title and has been given the honorary rank of Colonel in the Nepal army. Untouched and unfold Mustang is relatively new trekking trail which was officially opened in 1991 for the trekkers and is one of the restricted trekking areas of Nepal where trekkers should be accompanied by Nepali local guides and needed minimum of 2 trekkers for trekking and issuing the restricted area permit for Mustang. We offer carefully designed Upper Mustang Trekking itinerary for Mustang trekkers and we also accept your own customized itinerary of Mustang trek too.
Upper Mustang Trekking permit details:
Special Permit: For the first 10 days US$ 500 per person and after 10 days US$ 50 per day per person, or equivalent convertible foreign currency.
ACAP Permit: NRS. 2,000 per person which is equivalent to USD 20.
Best Seasons to trek Upper Mustang:
As Trekking in Nepal is a seasonal adventure tour and trek activities, we’ve three best seasons for this Annapurna Trek and they are as follows:
Spring (March, April and May): It is regarded as one of the perfect season to trek Upper Mustang as it offers not only the clear weather but also the most important festival of Mustang people(known by Tiji festival) lies in this season.
Summer (June, July and August): Upper Mustang lies inside the trans- Himalayan region and due to which it gets the least rainfall as compared to other regions of Nepal. Hence, this trekking is not affected by rainy season and trekkers enjoy the panoramic view during this season as well.
Autumn (September, October and November): It is also regarded as another best season to trek Upper Mustang. The clear weather and transparent views of the snowcapped mountains with beautiful landscapes are the features of this season.
Winter (December, January and February): It is doable but not recommended that time around
As its one of the challenging treks as compared to the short trekking in Nepal like Everest Sunrise Trek or Annapurna Sunrise Trek, the winter season (December, January and February) is not recommended to trek Upper Mustang as it gets a very low temperature even at the daytime(0-5ºC) during this season. The people of Mustang migrate to their nearby city (like Pokhara) to escape the winter.
Upper Mustang Trekking Itinerary
Day 01 : Arrive in Kathmandu (1,334m.)
- Upon your arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, a Visit Heaven Trek representative will be there for your warm welcome and help you to get to your hotel. The evening will be for a welcome dinner with Visit Heaven staff in one of the typical Nepali restaurant. Overnight in hotel.
Day 02:Kathmandu Sightseeing (1,334m.)
- Take your breakfast and get ready for a guided full day sightseeing of Kathmandu Valley. The sightseeing program is focused on introducing some highlights of UNESCO World Heritage sites of Kathmandu such as Kathmandu Durbar square, Swoyambhunath ,also known as “Monkey Temple”, Pashupatinath –temple of Lord Shiva and Bouddhanath; a Buddhist place. After sightseeing evening will be for trek briefing and preparation of things per need.
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara(820m./ 6 hours)
- Early morning we drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara following Trishuli River (200 Km.) which takes 6 hours approx. Pokhara is the starting and ending point of our trekking where we can find many shops, pubs, bars, and restaurant nearby the famous lakes. We will stay overnight in Pokhara.
Day 04: Fly to Jomsom and Trek to Kagbeni (2,858m. /3-4 hours)
- After early breakfast we will transfer to airport for a flight from Pokhara to Jomsom. After reaching Jomsom we will trek onwards to Kagbeni. Kagbeni is the main checkpoint to show permits. Overnight in Kagbeni.
Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m. /5-6 hours)
Today we will be trekking from Kagbeni to Chele. With some ups and downs with picturesque places, we reach today’s overnight place Chele. Overnight in Chele.
Day 06: Chele to Geling (3,500m. / 4-5 hours)
- After early breakfast in Chele we set off to Geling. It will take us four to five hours to reach Geling. Overnight in Geling.
Day 07: Geling to Charang (3,620m. /4-5 hours)
- From Geling, our trail slowly ascends up and head towards our today’s destination Charang. About four to five hours walk finally takes us to Charang. Overnight in Charang.
Day 08: Charang to Lo-Mangthang (3700m. /5-6 hours)
- Day to trek to Lo-Mangthang. Annapurna I, Tilicho, Nilgiri and Bhrikuti are the peaks we see during Today’s walk. Today, we will pass a windy pass of Lo; a viewpoint of Lo-Mangthang Valley. Overnight at Lo-Mangthang.
Day 09: Acclimatisation day
- This day is for rest and exploration around Lo-Mangthang Valley. We will take sightseeing around Mustang King’s Place and monasteries. Enjoy exploring around. Overnight.
Day 10: Lo-Mangthang to Ghami (3545m. / 5-6 hours)
- After having an awesome day in Lo-Mangthang, today we trek to Ghami. We will start trekking early morning and with a five to six hours walk, we will finally reach to Ghami. Overnight in Ghami.
Day 11: Ghami to Samar (3,356m. /4-5 hours)
- From Ghami, today our trail head towards to a beautiful village Samar. With four to five hours walk we will reach today’s destination Samar. Overnight.
Day 12: Ghami to Kagbeni (2,858m. /7-8 hours)
- This day will be a quite long walking day. Setting destination Kagbeni, we start our trekking early morning and by evening, we will reach Kagbeni. Overnight at Kagbeni.
Day 13: Kagbeni to Jomsom (2,700m. /3-4 hours)
- An Easy walking day in compare of the previous day. Today, we will trek back to Jomsom from Kagbeni. After reaching Jomsom, we will have enough time to explore around. Overnight in Jomsom.
Day 14: Fly to Pokhara (820m. / 30 minutes flight)
- After early breakfast, today we will fly to Pokhara from Jomsom. After reaching Pokhara we have enough time to explore the city of Lake. Overnight at hotel.
Day 15: Drive back Kathmandu (1,334m. / 6 hours)
- Last day of our Upper Mustang Trek. Today we will travel back to Kathmandu overland to the see the green and fertile landscape of Gorkha and Dhading districts or enjoy spectacular mountain views by plane. In the evening, you will join the group dinner and drinks to celebrate your trekking success with Visit Heaven Trek.
Day 16: Fly back home
- A Visit Heaven Trek representative will accompany you to the airport to catch your returning flight. We hope to see you again soon! Namaste!!
- Airport pick up and drop off by a private vehicle
- 3 Nights hotel in Kathmandu at 3-star category hotel with breakfast in twin sharing basis
- Kathmandu Valley sightseeing (Private vehicle and English-speaking guide)
- Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Kathmandu transport by a tourist bus
- 2 Nights hotel in Pokhara at 3-star category hotel with breakfast in twin sharing basis
- Jomsom-Pokhara flight
- ACAP (Annapurna Conversation Area Permit) and TIMS Cards
- An experienced English-speaking guide and his all expenses including insurance during the trekking
- Porter (1 porter for 2 trekkers and carries 15kgs to 20 kgs) and their all expenses including insurance
- Food (Breakfasts, lunches and Dinners (Full board basis during the trekking with 3 complimentary tea/coffee)
- Teahouse accommodation during the trekking in twin sharing basis
- Trekking route map
- Complimentary sleeping bags and down jackets
- First aid kit
- All the government and company service charges
- International airfare
- Travel Insurance
- Nepal visa fee
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara except complimentary dinners
- Personal expenses (WIFI, bar bills, laundries, electricity charges for the gadgets, hot shower, hot water etc)
- Tipping for guide(s), porter (s), driver(s)
- Anything does not include in the inclusion list.